Ah fall. The leaves are changing color and the weather has gotten cool and wet. The days are growing shorter and darker and are just ripe for curling up in bed with your iPad and flipping on Netflix. Bliss.
My iPad and I spend many quality hours together, in fact, too many probably as my ever growing dark under eye circles and lack of sleep can attest to, but once i get enamoured with a series on Netflix I commit wholeheartedly. Even if that means binge watching until the wee hours of the night, every night.
So what is on my list of MUST WATCH series this fall on Netflix?
1. Best series to watch Jamie Dornan before he gets mega famous in Fifty Shades of Grey – The Fall. Currently filming season 2 this super dark drama stars Jamie Dornan (aka Christian Grey) and Gillian Anderson from X-Files fame. The series is short (only X episodes) but very powerful and very very dark. Best to watch curled up with your significant other.
2. Best series to make you LOL – Happy Endings. I was SUPER bummed when ABC cancelled Happy Endings last year. This was one of the rare television comedies to make me truly laugh out loud, and usually multiple times per episode. Quirky characters and witty banter makes each episode a real treat. Well, maybe except for Elisha Cuthbert, but she gets a bit better near the end of the series.
3. Best realistic television characters – The Killing. OMG, has there ever been in the history of television a female protagonist homocide cop that actually looks AND acts the part. Mireille Enos as Sarah Linden does not wear a single stitch of make-up for the entire four seasons, nor does she wear her hair in anything but a ponytail (at least on the job). She smokes and curses, she has lines on her forehead (!!!) and she is flawed and deep and interesting – she fails as a mother, in her relationships and at times as a cop as well. Her partner Detective Holder throws out some white trash/wannabe Eminem zingers that make you cringe and laugh at the same time. The storylines are twisted and dark and will always keep you guessing. A must watch.
4. Best Retro series – The Gilmore Girls. Ok, so I only have sons so I won’t ever have the love-her/hate-her, lets paint our toenails and talk about boys kind of relationship that mothers and daughters have so I live vicariously through the Gilmores. Impossibly zingy repartee makes it sometimes difficult to watch (I mean, who ever has conversations that fast and witty?) but this classic series is a feel good for sure on this dark dreary days of fall.
5. Best Sci-fi series – The 100. My dear friend Julie introduced me to this series and I have to admit I was skeptical at first but the series has really grown on me. Set in the post-apocalyptic future, the series centers around 100 “outcasts” that are sent back to earth after humankind has lived in space for almost 100 years. The protagonist again is a bad-ass female named Clarke who is trying to keep the 100 from going all “Lord of the Flies” on eachother while they battle enemies on the ground. Season 2 has just begun, and new episodes are being released weekly! Squee!
6. Best It’s Almost Halloween So I Need To Watch Something Hallween-ish series – The Vampire Diaries. Yes, I admit it. I watch the Vampire Diaries. Even though the show is so far fetched and everyone is a doppelganger of someone else and someone is always dying and coming back, and everyone dates everyone else (90210 style) I still enjoy this guilty pleasure. Oh, and Ian Sommerhalder as Damon isn’t too hard on the eyes either.
7. Best series period. Friday Night Lights – Ok peeps. Forget the fact that the series is based on football….high school football actually….ok, TEXAS high school football. But let me tell you, this is hands down one of the best shows ever written, the characters are amazing, as in the storyline, and you will fall in LOVE with Coach and Tami Taylor. I wept tears of true sadness when this series wrapped a few years back. Clear eyes, full hearts, can’t lose. Texas Forever.