A few weeks ago my extended fam-jam (including my parents and my brothers family of 5) went on an ah-maz-ing week long cruise from Vancouver BC to Alaska on the Disney Wonder. And despite the fact that I get massively motion sick and don’t particularly like big crowds or being stuck in one place for too long, the cruise exceeded my expectation in just about every way possible. And thanks to a lot of 12 hour Gravol, and very calm seas on the Inside passage, the motion sickness was kept under control quite well for the most part. Yay!
So, what were the highlights from our week at sea? Definitely the wonderful (mind the pun) staff – especially our amazing waiter and assistant waiter that took such good care of us each night (why yes, I will have another lobster thanks…). There was also the food, oh the food – sooooo good! And let’s not forget the daily and nightly entertainment that was Broadway show worthy (or at least Vegas worthy). And last but not least was the incredible kids clubs and onboard amenities that kept our kiddos happy and out of our hair for 95% of the cruise. Yay!
One of the things we loved doing each day on the cruise was checking out what movies were playing on one of the three theatres on board. There was the Buena Vista theatre that was pretty much open from dawn to midnight each day showing first run hits like “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” and “Captain America: Civil War”. Funnel Vision was an outdoor theatre on deck 9 that showed classic Disney movies on screen like “Cars”, “Aladdin”,“Lady and the Tramp” and of course “Frozen”. The main theatre on deck 4 was the huge Walt Disney Theatre where they showed a couple of 3D hits like “Finding Dory” which was an awesome treat for me since my boys claim to be “too old” to go see it now. Sigh.
Anyways, we’ve been home for over two weeks now and we are missing our time on the Disney Wonder so very much so we have been streaming some Disney classics on Netflix each night to help us relive all our wonderful Disney cruise memories over and over again. Hope you enjoy a few of these as well!
Our top Disney picks from Netflix Canada:
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens – we were SO excited that this was released this month on Netflix Canada. We have now watched the movie 4 times and just can’t get enough!
- Pirates of the Carribean (all 3 movies) – lucky for us there was a pirate themed night on board the Disney Wonder complete with a visit from Jack Sparrow himself (sadly it wasn’t Johnny Depp but…)
- Lilo and Stitch – yes, this is an oldie but it’s still a goodie. My eldest son watched it for the first time at school last year and then again on board the ship. He was so smitten his one souvenir was a Stitch stuffie from the boat’s gift shop!
- Marvel Avengers Assemble – My boys are always hoping for more and more Marvel titles on Netflix (since Disney acquired Marvel years ago) but for now they just enjoy this series and the few others that are available for streaming.
- Enchanted – ok, maybe this one is more for me, I do love a little song and dance in my movies and I really like Patrick Dempsey too 🙂