With all the stores putting up Xmas decorations and darkness descending upon us at an ungodly hour I thought it was about time to round up all my favorite (cheap) white wines under $15 since I sure as heck will be drinking a lot of them soon. But please take my list with a grain of salt of course as I am biased towards white wines (obviously) and more specifically sweet, white wines. If you are looking for a cheap Chardonnay or Savignon Blanc I suggest you look elsewhere – even if dying from thirst I would turn them away. Blech!
Without further ado, I present the top 10 whites under $15:
- Hardy’s Riesling Gewurtztraminer – it wouldn’t matter if this was my list of top wines under $100, this deliciously sweet wine from Down Under would top that list too! Coming it a mere 10 bucks a bottle at the BCLO, this should be the go-to wine for the upcoming holiday season (especially if you have a lot of drunken relatives coming round).
- Barefoot Pinot Grigio – I have a bit of a soft spot for Barefoot Wines and not only because they are good, and cheap – but because they often support local causes around town, and well, they are good and cheap – and from California too!
- Cono Sur Bicicleta Viognier – Ooooo even the name sounds sort of sexy non? Hailing from Chile this fruity little gem is rumoured to be on sale for 9.99 a bottle though November at the BCLO!
- Sumac Ridge Geurtztraminer – Oh the Okanagan makes some darn good wines, and this one is near the top of my list for pure Geurtztraminers which I often find a touch dry for my palate.
- Gehringer Bros Ehrenfelser – According to it’s website “this fruit-driven wine has vibrant notes of apricot and honey, hints of almond, and a subtle tangy acidity.” – um, whatever! It just tastes darn good and it has 13.2% alcohol!
- Yellow Tail Pinot Grigio – Another shout out to great Aussie wines at a low low price. I often stock the fridge with Yellow Tail (and try their Bubbles too!)
- Naked Grape Pinot Grigio – Add this to the super cheap and yummy list – most of the time you can find it for just shy of $10 at the BCLO
- Gray Monk Latitude 50 – Yummy, yum yum! Another one of my all time favorite wines. It just squeeks in at 14.99 a bottle but with all the money you have saved from buying the other cheap bottles on the list you will have money to plurge from time to time! Make sure the bottle is really cold to really enjoy this lovely vino!
- Prosecco Frizzante Villa Teresa Organic – Prosecco is my go to drink of choice in the summer but it will make a resurgence around the holidays as well as party season kicks into gear. Much cheaper than champagne but has the same lovely bubbly effects.
- Red Rooster Bantam – Another lovely bottle just squeeking on the list at 14.99 but I have so many good memories attached to this lovely light and fruity sipper. I am sure the holidays will bring many more great memories to pair with a icy cold bottle (or two) of Red Rooster!